Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food, Inc. reaction, pgs 183-218

There were a number of differing approaches that each of these authors used in their section. In “Declare your independence,” the author uses a very angry, argumentative tone. You can tell that he's trying to make you angry. Personally, I don't respond well to that type of argument. I feel that when anger is used to convey a message meant to persuade me, I find myself wanting to double check all of their facts, as if their anger makes them less credible. As such, I didn't respond too well to the first selection. Putting aside that angry tone, though, everything the author says is very well laid out, and very persuasive. It's just that tone that I don't like. Along with making me feel like he's less credible, it makes me feel like he's yelling at me, and I don't respond well to being yelled at.

Conversely, the segment entitled “Questions for a farmer” was repetitive and boring. I feel that the repetitiveness of the questions could be handled a different way. I know that you have to ask the same questions, but instead of asking the reader to read through an almost identical answer (which I didn't, by the way), say something like “see answer for question X” and then add in the additional information where needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment